Thursday, July 19, 2012

Tostadas !!

This recipe is very similar to some of my other recipes, but in Mexican food, Tostadas are a unique plate.
Some of my Mexican recipes are for special occasions. Tostadas are more for every day kinds of meals.
I begin this recipe by boiling a nice rump roast in water, with a piece of white onion, salt and pepper. I let the roast boil for up to three hours.
Then I shred the roast in to fine, bite-size pieces.
Once I have my meat prepared, I begin with the tortillas.

Start by toasting the corn tortillas by frying them in oil. You want them crisp but not burnt. Now they are tostadas, and not tortillas anymore.  Set them aside.
Then I like to boil carrots and potatoes. I put chicken bouillon in with the boiling water.
The carrots and potatoes are cut into cubes.
I put the carrots in the boiling water first, because the potatoes take less time to cook.
I boil the veggies for 5 or 10 minutes, or until soft. The veggies need to be soft.
Drain the veggies and set them aside.
Add two cans of tomato sauce to the broth that was left over after boiling the roast. This juice will top the tostadas when we’re done.
Now we put together our tostadas.
Sometimes I start by spreading re-fried beans on the tostadas. I don’t always do this, but it’s good with the beans.
Then add a nice pile of shredded roast on the tostada.
Then add a layer of fresh shredded lettuce.
Then add your boiled veggies.
Top with grated cheese of your choice, and half-cream. ( I use Mexican cream).
At the table, add hot sauce to taste, and have each dinner guest spoon on the juice (broth) that has been served to each diner in a nice cup.
Tostadas! 
A fantastic Mexican meal.




No comments:

Post a Comment